Friday, June 10, 2011

The Monkees: (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

Every Friday I feature a flipside of a US single release. Some are well known while others are not. Today, we present a flip that is the former as it was from a double-sided hit by The Monkees.

Released in November 1966 during the first season of their TV show, Mickey Dolenz sings “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone.” In fact, Mickey may have been the only Monkee on this Boyce and Hart composition. The background vocal was supplied by Tommy Boyce who co-wrote and co-produced the tune with Bobby Hart.



Although originally recorded by Paul Revere and the Raiders, “(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone” made it to 20 on Billboard’s Hot 100. It was the “B” to the band’s second number 1 hit, “I’m a Believer.” It also was featured on their self-titled debut album. My favorite part of the tune is the organ which was supplied by Bobby Hart.





No comments:

Post a Comment