Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sixpence None the Richer: There She Goes

It's TV Thursday and I bring to you Sixpence None the Richer with “There She Goes,” which was used for an ad for Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. This 1998 cover of the La’s tune had more radio success in the U.S. than the original; however, the original was released four different times and was also featured in a Bali Bras commercial, as well as on numerous movie sound tracks. Both versions feature electric 12-string guitars.


It is a definitely a simple song – but simple songs have great hooks and great hooks become part of the formula for making hits.

“There She Goes” by Sixpence None the Richer charted on the following Billboard charts:
  • Hot 100 - 32 (based on airplay and sales)
  • Adult Contemporary - 19 (airplay on adult contemporary radio)
  • Top 40 Tracks - 14 (a defunct chart – station submitted airplay on a number of radio formats)
  • Top 40 Mainstream - 13 (now Pop Songs – monitored reports from mainstream radio)
  • Adult Top 40 -7 (now Adult Pop Songs – monitored reports of music similar to cuts on VH-1)
  • Top 40 Adult Recurrents - 1 (songs that have spent 20 weeks on the Hot 100 and has fallen below 50)
All of the previous chart actions occurred in 1999 except the Top 40 Adult Recurrents, which charted in 2000. In addition to the Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo exposure, Six Pence None the Richer's version appeared on the Six Feet Under TV show. The original version by the La’s was released in 1988, 1990, 1999, and a 20th anniversary release in vinyl in 2008. Only the second release charted for the La’s in the U.S. - #49 on the Hot 100 and #2 on the Alternative Music charts. In addition to the Bali Bras commercial, the La’s version appeared on the Gilmore Girls TV show and on the soundtracks for The Parent Trap; Fever Pitch; Girl Interrupted; and So, I Married an Axe Murderer.



Apparently, there is a general assumption that this song is about heroin addiction; however, the La’s deny that this is the case. A cursory look at the lyrics below might give you the impression that it is about some sort of needle based addiction; however, it could mean a strong feeling towards someone you love. I have no idea and I’ll let you be the judge.

“There She Goes”
 
There she goes
There she goes again
Racing through my brain
And I just can't contain
This feeling that remains

There she goes
There she goes again
Pulsing through my veins
And I just can't contain
This feeling that remains

There she goes
There she goes again
Racing through my brain
And I just can't contain
This feeling that remains

There she goes
There she goes again
She calls my name,
Pulls my train
No one else could heal my pain
And I just can't contain
This feeling that remains

There she goes
There she goes again
Chasing down my lane
And I just can't contain
This feeling that remains

There she goes
There she goes
There she goes

The thing that really bothers me about the La’s is their name. The apostrophe is intentional, but I am not sure why it is there. It may be for no real reason at all – and that is fine. It may be a statement like e.e. cummings or k.d. lang using all lower case letters for their names. This too is acceptable; however, if they are using it to make the name a plural, then it is a grammatical issue as the apostrophe shows possession and not plurality.

This is a common problem I see with my own students – especially when it is something short like making a plural of a letter of the alphabet and it is used incorrectly as A’s – when As is proper. Just a pet peeve of mine. There, your lesson in music and the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment