Sunday, March 14, 2010

Patti Loveless/Ricky Skaggs: Daniel Prayed

Today’s Spiritual Sunday song is a duet by two eastern Kentuckians, Patti Loveless from Pike County and Ricky Skaggs from Lawrence County, singing a bluegrass gospel tune made famous originally by the Stanley Brothers. The arrangement in this live version of “Daniel Prayed” is the same that is found on Patti Loveless’ “Mountain Soul” album.



I learned this first from my friend and colleague, Everett Lilly, Jr. who did a version with his group the Songcatchers. I had a chance to join them several years ago singing harmony and playing harmonica at a mountain worship service. After learning this song, I bought the album and a group of us did this in church one Sunday night in 2006. I played the mandolin; however, those Ricky Skaggs chops are pretty difficult. It is great little song and the Loveless/Skaggs arrangement is wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Can't get anything to play, Jim! I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, you may need to download the latest version of Adobe Flash player at http://www.adobe.com

    ReplyDelete