Saturday, August 14, 2010

Crosby & Nash: BBC Concert

I have to commend EMI Records for having their own YouTube site and provide an opportunity for their associated acts to have YouTube presence. Unfortunately, Warner Music Group has been extremely active in keeping Warner Brothers, Elektra, Asylum, Atlantic, and associated labels off of YouTube. Should a person post a Warners video, it gets pulled immediately. There have been times I would have loved to have featured a number of songs and albums, but I’ve been unable to find the recordings.

Therefore, today I am not featuring an album but rather a TV concert from the BBC. I wanted to feature the first Crosby, Stills, and Nash LP as it is one of my favorite albums of all time, but alas I couldn’t as the copyright police are out in force. In the process, I found a series of videos from a BBC concert from September 11, 1970. I have had the opportunity to see Crosby and Nash and Crosby, Stills, and Nash both in Huntington, WV in the late 1970s. I also experienced CSN in Charleston, WV in 1982. All three were great shows as one would expect.

Marrakesh Express


The song is based on Graham Nash’s 1966 train ride from Casablanca to Marrakesh. He started the trip in the first class berth, but being bored he we to associate with the common folk and “ducks, pigs, and chickens.” I wonder what they were doing with pigs on a train in a predominantly Muslim country as pork is not halal and is extremely forbidden. Here’s a little Moroccan Roll – sorry, I had to get that pun in there.



Guinnevere


David Crosby wrote this song about three women with he had relationships (gee, wasn’t that “Triad?”) with whom he compared to Queen Guinnevere. Like “Marrakesh Express,” it is from the debut album by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. The harmony between Crosby and Nash on this song is beautiful. Crosby tunes his guitar as EBDGAD. The time signature changes as well. Crosby uses 4/4, 8/8, ¾, 11/8 – I can’t even imagine 11/8. I played 12/8 – but that is just a series of four triples. As for 11/8 – too strange for me.



A Tree With No Leaves/Song With No Words
Teach Your Children


An instrumental followed by one of the better known CSN&Y tunes from 1970’s “Déjà Vu” album – another LP I would like to feature. The song was inspired by a photo of a angry child holding a toy grenade in Central Park. “Teach Your Children” peaked at #16 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.



The Lee Shore


One of David Crosby’s nautical songs that appeared on CSN&Y’s live “Four-Way Street” album.



Traction In The Rain


Another David Crosby tune from his LP “If I Could Only Remember My Name.”



A great concert and I hope you liked it.


1 comment:

  1. My Name is Dr Aziba Herbal Remedy is 100% guarantee for Penis Enlargement you can Contact Me via Web page https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com For Best natural male enhancement Product with 100% guaranteed results.
    I prepare top Herbal selling male enhancement product with herbal formula and no side-effects.
    Contact me on My Website: https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com and Via Email: Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com Via WhatsApp: +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete