Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Marmalade: Reflections of My Life

It’s one hit wonder Wednesday on Reading Between the Grooves and today’s selection is a 1969 hit by the Scottish band Marmalade “Reflections of My Life.” Originally, I had planned to use another song, but Marmalade's hit popped into my head in kitchen last night and I couldn’t get it out of my mind.

It is a classic tune that I am sure most people recognize, but probably couldn’t name the song. This is because it is one of those rare tunes where the title is not part of the song’s hook, which is “All my sorrows; Sad tomorrows; Take me back to my own home.” The title of “Reflections of My Mind” is found twice in the song in verse one and verse two.

Another neat thing about the tune is the use of backwards guitar leads – the recording of the guitar was used for half of the lead in forward mode and the remaining portion it was flipped and played backwards. It wasn’t the first time a backwards guitar lead was used; however, it may be the first hit where the lead is played both forward and reversed mixing both together.

Additionally, the horn parts are reminiscent of The Beatles’ “Penny Lane.” “Reflections of my Life” charted at #10 in the US and was the band’s only Top 40 hit in the US. Their follow-up single “Rainbow” peaked at #51 on the Hot 100.





No comments:

Post a Comment