Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Richard Thompson: 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

I took the weekend off to enjoy the Memorial Day holiday and I took liberty from my blog authoring duties. I am back to pick up with at Traditional Tuesday selection. Today, it’s probably one of the better known Richard Thompson songs from his solo career: “1952 Vincent Black Lightning.”


This live recording from the 2006 Cambridge Folk Festival showcases the excellent finger style picking of Thompson. The song is a mini epic that has everything – a red haired beauty, love, crime, death, and a classic motorcycle. The tragic ending of this song is not unlike some of the top forty hits of the 60s – notably The Shangri-Las’ “Leader of the Pack” and J. Frank Wilson’s “Last Date.” I like Thompson’s song better though.


No comments:

Post a Comment