Sunday, June 19, 2011

Amos Lee: Jesus

Last Sunday as I was returning from taking my daughter and two of her friends to camp, I caught Amos Lee’s performance on “Mountain Stage” on West Virginia Public Radio. His live arrangement is quite different from the one on the CD. I really like the live version much better as it accentuates the usage of the frailing banjo style. Besides this, the gospel tinged back-up vocals really make the song click.



Amos wrote the song the day his grandfather had died. He considered his grandfather’s faith and how in the time of death we all need help from Jesus. In writing this song, Lee tried to recreate that raw and direct nature of gospel music from the past – something that is missing in much of the religious music of today.

Studio Version

From the CD Mission Bell, the studio is good, but different and heavier. It features the back-up vocals by James Gadsen and amplified harmonica – quite different than the live version above.



The CD was released in January and has topped both the Top 200 LP and Top Rock Charts at the number 1 position.



Lyrics

Oh, Jesus can you help me now, (Jesus can you help me now)
Oh, Jesus can you help me now, (Jesus can you help me now)
Oh, Jesus can you help me now,
No, I never felt so alone

I remember when I was wild and free
Oh, so wild and free
Oh, so wild and free
But my heart was a skipping stone

But now the world has jaded me
Oh, corrupted and defeated me
You know I never thought you hated me
But I’ve never felt so alone.

Oh, Jesus will you help me now, (So, Jesus won’t you help me now)
Oh, Jesus will you help me now, (Jesus won’t you help me now)
Oh Jesus will you help me now,
No, I never felt so alone,
So alone,

Oh Jesus
Oh Jesus
Oh Jesus (won’t you help me now)
Won’t you help me now?
Oh Jesus
Won’t you help me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment