Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians: What I Am

Today’s one hit wonder is one of those songs that you either love or you hate. I bought the cassette from the strength of this single – being out of Top 40 radio at the time and unable to procure a free copy, I laid down my money and took my chances – that is until it and a number of other cassettes were stolen out of my car.

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians had their only Top 40 hit in 1988 with “What I Am.” It charted in the US at #7 on the Hot 100, at #4 on the Modern Rock Tracks, and #9 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks – whatever all that means. Well, I do – but that’s not important. It is an alternative song that has some jazz influences. Very – well – Bohemian; if I might say so myself. I love the guitar lead with the autowah/envelope filter. Really cool.



The album, “Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars” did quite well too – it charted at #4 on the LP charts and was certified double platinum for in excess of two million copies sold in the US. While it served to be Edie and the New Bohemians only hit, she has spent her time since being Mrs. Paul Simon, and has continued to perform over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment