Monday, May 21, 2012

Alice Cooper: I'm Eighteen

Back when I was a freshman in college, I turned that magical age of 18 and my friends sang to me that auspicious Alice Cooper song celebrating that magical year of life. Today, my oldest daughter turns eighteen and I’ve decided to feature the same song that was sung to me so many years ago.


Released in November 1970, the Coop’s first major single release peaked on the pop charts at #21 in early 1971. The song often is credited at portraying the uncertainty of youth during the Vietnam era – old enough to serve in the military, but not old enough to vote. The Twenty-Sixth Amendment to the US Constitution changed that and was adopted in July 1971 and effectively lowered the voting age to 18.


This tune in Em is built on a riff that combines guitar and bass playing in unison. The song became an anthem of my generation. In addition, it is one of a handful of releases with different titles for the single than on the corresponding album releases. The single, which was released prior to album “Love it to Death,” was issued as “Eighteen.” The subsequent LP release has the title as “I’m Eighteen.”

Happy Birthday sweetie from your strange old man.






No comments:

Post a Comment