Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hot Tuna: Good Shepherd

I had a hard time deciding what to pick for this week’s Wooden Music Wednesday, but I went with my first instinct and decided to feature Hot Tuna’s live version of “Good Shepherd.” The current version of the band includes two original members of Jorma Kaukonen (on guitar and vocals) and Jack Casady on bass. A more recent member is Barry Mitterhoff who plays the most outstanding licks on his mandolin. Mitterhoff joined the band in 2002

I’ve previously addressed the evolution of this tune when I featured Jefferson Airplane’s version back in 2010. So, you can check that out as well. Kaukonen and Casady were also original members of Jefferson Airplane. Casady, by the way, is playing the Jack Casady Signature Epiphone bass, which is modeled on the Gibson EB-2 bass he often played with the Airplane.

This rather long live cut was recorded at Jorma Kaukonen’s Fur Peace Ranch in Pomeroy, Ohio, which is about 2 ½ hours from where I live. I need to go there someday. This is a wonderful acoustic version of this classic traditional number that Kaukonen has been performing since the early 60s.





No comments:

Post a Comment