Sunday, October 13, 2013

Initial 16: P.M. Dawn

I extended our Second Week Special for an eighth day with one final artist with the initial “P”: P.M. Dawn with their song “Set Adrift on Memory Bliss.” Released in 1991 when I was working in oldies radio, I didn’t get to play this tune on the radio; however, I was doing mobile DJ work at that time and it was a selection that received its share of requests.


While I am not a fan of most hip hop, I like “Set Adrift on Memory Bliss.” Part of this may be because Spandau Ballet’s “True,” which was sampled for this tune, is one of my favorite 80s songs. Add to that, you have the excellent harmony by the Cordes brothers who constituted P.M. Dawn.

“Set Adrift on Memory Bliss” was the P.M. Dawn’s only #1 hit and strangely enough for a hip hop tune is that it charted higher on the Hot 100 than it did on the R&B chart – where it peaked at #16.



No comments:

Post a Comment