Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nick Drake: Hazey Jane I

Like many people, I didn’t get to know the music of Nick Drake until after his tragic death in 1974. What I’ve heard since, I have really liked. In 1970, Drake recorded his second album “Bryter Layter” – an album that is heralded by a number of different music publications as being one of the best albums ever recorded.


Notable is the fact that several members of Fairport Convention appeared as session musicians on “Bryter Layter.” Today, I feature “Hazey Jane I” (yes there is a “Hazey Jane II, which appears earlier on the album – if you can figure that one out).

This little nugget features the very tasty acoustic guitar and vocals by Drake. Two members of Fairport, Dave Mattacks (drums) and Dave Pegg (bass), round out the rhythm section. Additionally, the song is layered with a string arrangement by the late Robert Kirby. Nice stuff that Pandora reminded me of just recently.




No comments:

Post a Comment