Thursday, June 19, 2014

Gerry Goffin Takes A Giant Step

I just caught it on the news that legendary songwriter Gerry Goffin passed away today at the age of 75. Goffin and his then wife, Carole King, were one of the several successful songwriting teams to craft their talents at the famous Brill Building in New York.


Some of the more famous Goffin/King Top 5 compositions include the following:

  • “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” – a #1 record for the Shirrells
  • “Take Good Care of My Baby” – a #1 hit for Bobby Vee
  • “The Loco Motion” – #1 for both Little Eva and Grand Funk and #3 for Kylie Minogue
  • “Go Away Little Girl” – #1 for both Steve Lawrence and Donny Osmond
  • “Pleasant Valley Sunday” – #3 for The Monkees
  • “One Fine Day” – #5 for The Chiffons
  • “Up on the Roof” – #5 for The Drifters

In addition, Goffin cowrote the following Top 5 hits with other songsmiths:
  • “Run to Him” (with Jack Keller) – #2 for Bobby Vee
  • “I’ve got to us my Imagination” (with Barry Goldberg) – #4 for Gladys Knight and the Pips
  • “Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)” (with Michael Masser) – #1 for Diana Ross
  • “Saving All My Love for You” (with Michael Masser) – #1 for Whitney Houston

In thinking of a fitting song for the passing of such a great songwriter, and there were several Goffin compositions I considered. My original choices were Tony Orlando’s “Halfway to Paradise,” Gene McDaniels’ “Point of No Return,” Betty Everett’s “I Can’t Hear You No More,” and Dusty Springfield’s “Don’t Forget about Me.”


All were contenders, but I pulled an album cut/flipside by The Monkees as being more indicative of the music I normally feature. As the flipside to The Monkees’ first single “Last Train to Clarksville,” “Take a Giant Step” was a fairly popular flipside that got some airplay in 1966 – although it failed to chart.


We'll miss your giant talents Mr. Goffin, Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment