Monday, August 4, 2014

Foster the People: Best Friend

For our “Media Monday” selection, I go back a May episode of the David Letterman Show when Foster the People performed “Best Friend.” I remember sitting in my apartment in Kentucky watching the show. I was mesmerized by their performance.


A couple of things drew me to this song. One was the chorus of kids singing the background. They really added greatly to the presentation. They also looked like they were having a blast.


Another aspect of the song that I liked is that it was reminiscent of some of the dance music coming out of Britain in the 1980s. It evoked memories of ABC, The English Beat, Spandau Ballet, and Level 42. Plus, Cubbie Fink is playing a late model Dan Electro bass – a man after my own heart. I have two vintage Dan Electros: a 6 and a 12-string.


Studio Version


While I prefer the live version – which is a switch for me – here’s the studio recording from Foster the People’s 2014 CD “Supermodel.” The single charted at #119 on the Hot 100, #15 on the Alternative chart, #21 on the Hot Rock chart, and #22 on the Rock Airplay chart.

Foster the People is technically a trio and all of the other musicians are sidemen. Besides Fink, the other two official members are lead vocalist Mark Foster (who also plays keys) and drummer Mark Pontius.









No comments:

Post a Comment