Saturday, January 29, 2011

Grand Funk Railroad: Mean Mistreater

Since I was doing the “honey do” thing today, I am a little late with my bubbling under hit for this Saturday. Grand Funk Railroad’s single from their “Live Album” was “Mean Mistreater.” I got this album in January 1971 after my mom signed me up for a year of albums from the Capitol Record Club. Grand Funk’s “Live Album” was the first live album I earned and the first album from a record club.

The single didn’t make it to the top 40 only charting at #47, but was my favorite cut off of the album. It features Mark Farner on vocals and the Fender Rhodes Electric Piano. Shortly after this live recording, the band enlisted keyboardist Craig Frost to be a sideman on the road. He later was given the opportunity to play on the band’s 1972 album “Phoenix.” By 1973 and the release of “We’re American Band,” Frost had become a full fledged member of Grand Funk Railroad.



No comments:

Post a Comment