Monday, February 6, 2012

Theolonious Monk: Blue Monk

About a week and a half ago, I was leaving Wal-Mart and a Muzak version “Blue Monk” was playing on the store’s PA system. I can honestly say that this was the first time I’ve ever heard a Theolonious Monk tune in this type of setting or overall style. I recognized the tune immediately as I played Monk’s music quite often when I did a weekly jazz show on WKCC in the mid to late 1970s.

“Blue Monk” was one of my favorites during my jazz period. Although the version I played was different than this one, this is one of the versions that is similar to the one that I featured. This particular rendition was recorded live in 1958 and released on Riverside on the LP “Theolonious in Action.” It features Monk on piano, Johnny Griffen on tenor sax, and the rhythm section of Ahmed Abdul-Malik (bass) and Roy Haynes (drums). Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment