Monday, September 28, 2015

The Lovin' Spoonful: Butchie's Tune

OK, I admit it. I have a problem. I am a binge-watcher. There, I said it. Since June 2014, I’ve been hogging my wife’s Netflix account to watch several programs that I hadn’t had the opportunity to see as of yet. I’ve seen most of the biggies and a few relatively unknowns. I find it easier to follow a series when I have the opportunity to watch it in sequence at my own time – whether that be at 11:00 PM or 5:00 AM.


Recently, I finished watching – well, let me backtrack, I finished watching all of the episodes on Netflix of “Mad Men.” The final seven episodes are not yet online – so, I’ll have to wait to see what happens. When the show originally aired on AMC, I only got to see two episodes – one from season two and one from season four. Without the prior context, I waited for Netflix to pick up the series.

What I’ve seen so far was pretty accurate for its portrayal of the 1960s. I did find some flaws and possible flaws in some of the artifacts – but really only minor ones that only someone with OCD would notice. One of the nice things about the show is that it provided a plethora of music from varying styles.

One of the tunes that caught my ear was the closing song of the 12th episode from season five. It is when Don Draper is driving Glenn Bishop back to the prep school and he allows Glenn to drive his car. The song, “Butchie’s Tune,” was by The Lovin’ Spoonful and was an album cut off their “Daydream” LP from 1966.

Although cowritten by John Sebastian and bassist Steve Boone, the lead vocals were supplied by drummer Joe Butler who still tours as Joe Butler and The Lovin’ Spoonful. One of the shining moments of “Butchie’s Tune” is the countrified guitar licks of Zal Yanovsky who had the pedal steel type Sus4 chords down pat.



3 comments:

  1. I saw that episode when it aired but only recently caught it again on tv & have been listening to "Butchie's Tune" on repeat since. Would never have guessed it to be The Lovin' Spoonful, who I really only know for their big ones (Do You Believe In Magic, etc). So now I'm digging in, as I usually do when this happens. And I got SO LUCKY that John Sebastian just happens to be near me (Iowa City) in a month & grabbed a ticket. Good timing! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anyone tell me why the name of this song is "Butchie's Tune"? Who is Butchie? A movie character, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hotter Than a Match Head" by Steve Boone. Page 62 tells all about Butchie.

    ReplyDelete