Saturday, December 19, 2009

Elton John: Madman Across The Water

This Saturday's album feature is my favorite Elton John album and its title cut (my favorite EJ tune), “Madman across the Water.”



This is one of those albums that I fully discovered much later than its 1971 release. In 1976, I purchased a fellow student’s (Steve Jerles) entire album collection, and this was one of the many gems among the 100+ discs. Incidentally, my purchase included all of Elton’s albums through 1975’s “Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy,” with the exception of “Empty Sky” and “Friends.” That was nine albums in all to get to know and appreciate; however, “Madman across the Water” took the top position in my book.

I was familiar with the two singles from the LP (“Levon” & “Tiny Dancer”), but nothing else. While both are memorable tunes, neither performed as well as later Elton John singles. “Levon” charted at 24, while its follow-up, did worse and peaked at #41. While the singles’ had lackluster success in the US, the LP did much better climbing to #8 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums Chart. Unfortunately, “Madman across the Water” was Elton John’s worst charting LP “across the water.” It peaked at #41 in the UK.

All around this is a pretty good album that chronicles the talents of Elton John in his early days before the feathered boas and wild sunglasses. It has also been certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.

Today’s featured cut was one of those gems I heard for the first time in my dorm room while wearing my headphones. This was a great tune to experience surrounded by the music for my initial listen. The interplay between the acoustic guitar and the piano in the song’s opening caught my attention immediately. My reaction was totally different than it was a few years earlier when I was listening to Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma" while wearing headphones. When David Gilmour let loose on the guitar on side two's "Careful with that Ax, Eugene," I nearly jumped out of my skin and was ready for the paramedics.  

Elton originally recorded the song "Madman across the Water" in 1970 as part of the “Tumbleweed Connection” album sessions. Probably, the prototype version's  9:01 length precluded its release as part of that LP; however, its heavy nature (heavier than the formal released version a year later) is really out of character with the country leanings of “Tumblewood Connection.”

The Original Version




Lyrics:

I can see very well;
There's a boat on the reef with a broken back
And I can see it very well.
There's a joke and I know it very well;
It's one of those that I told you long ago.
Take my word, I'm a madman don't you know?

Once a fool had a good part in the play;
If it's so would I still be here today?
It's quite peculiar in a funny sort of way–
They think it's very funny everything I say.
Get a load of him, he's so insane.
You better get your coat dear,
It looks like rain

Chorus
We'll come again next Thursday afternoon.
The In-laws hope they'll see you very soon.
But is it in your conscience that you're after?
Another glimpse of the madman across the water.

I can see very well;
There's a boat on the reef with a broken back
And I can see it very well.
There's a joke and I know it very well;
It's one of those that I told you long ago.
Take my word, I'm a madman don't you know?

The ground's a long way down, but I need more.
Is the nightmare black?
Or are the windows painted?
Will they come again next week?
Can my mind really take it?

[repeat chorus]

To give the visitors of the feel of the LP, I have created a YouTube playlist that allows you to listen to the album in order and in its entirety.

The Entire LP


No comments:

Post a Comment