Monday, December 28, 2009

The Wallflowers: I'm Looking Through You

Today’s cover release comes from the soundtrack for “I am Sam” and features The Wallflowers doing the Beatles’ album cut “I’m Looking through You.”



The Wallflowers' "I'm Looking through You" is from the Grammy winning “I am Sam” soundtrack.  This particular CD only contains Beatles’ cover tunes. With synchronization rights reportedly quoted as being $300 thousand per song, producer Sean Penn thought it was more prudent to re-record the songs by other artists than using the originals as he had intended. Hence, the reason the Wallflowers lent their talents to this particular song.


The Zimmer-men; looking but not sounding alike

Taking the lead vocals is Bob Dylan’s youngest son Jakob. Although there are some tonality and physical similarities between father and son, Jakob really sounds nothing like his famous dad. While it is difficult to improve upon any Beatles recording, this version is a nice interpretation of this classic Beatles’ LP cut; however, it fails to supersede the original release.

Version from "Rubber Soul"




This Paul McCartney tune originally appeared on my favorite Beatles’ album, “Rubber Soul.” The song was written about Paul’s strained relationship with his girlfriend at the time, Jane Asher – the sister of Peter Asher of Peter and Gordon. Paul and Jane dated for five years and at one time were engaged. 


Jane Asher - former McCartney Girlfriend

The “Rubber Soul” version was much faster than the version initially recorded by the Beatles a month earlier. The first take of the song surfaced on the 1996 “Anthology, Volume 2” CD as “I’m Looking through You – Take One.” Both versions feature Ringo Starr doing keyboard vamps on a Hammond Organ. It sounds as though he is playing a 7th chord.

Initial Version - Released in 1996




Lyrics:


I'm looking through you,
Where did you go?
I thought I knew you.
What did I know?
You don't look different,
But you have changed.
I'm looking through you-
You're not the same

Your lips are moving,
I cannot hear.
You voice is soothing,
But the words aren't clear.
You don't sound different
I've learned the game
I'm looking through you,
You're not the same

You're thinking of me,
The same old way.
You were above me,
But not today.
The only difference
Is you're down there.
I'm looking though you,
And you're nowhere.

The only difference,
Is you're down there.
I'm looking though you
And you're nowhere.
Yeah, nowhere.
Yeah, I'm looking through you;
Yeah, I'm looking through you;
Yeah, I'm looking through you;

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is hard to IMPROVE on the Beatles, but I love the Wallflowers version. I cannot recall being a fan of any other Wallflowers song, and I could be a fan of this one purely because of the context in which it was made. To me it captures a poignant moment between daughter and father, which is a very different meaning than the Beatles original. That song worked beautifully in the movie for which it was made. Although I think most of the credit for this goes to director Jessie Nelson, I am not sure that the Wallflowers had nothing to do with the song's success in the movie. Because it takes me immediately back to a crucial scene in one of my favorite movies I enjoy the Wallflowers version better.

    ReplyDelete