Monday, September 10, 2012

Zon: Man In The Mirror

Have you registered your feelings about “Reading between the Grooves” continuing? If I get enough folks voting positively, I will continue the blog after September 26, 2012. On that date, we will have our 1,000th post and third anniversary. It also was my planned retirement date; however, some requested that I keep writing. Only 16 more posts are planned; however, you can make a difference by registering your feelings in the survey found at http://tinyurl.com/8juv863.

For our Mélange Monday, I bring you a group with which most Americans are not familiar; however, they have a substantial following in their native Canada. Formed in Toronto in 1977, Zon was a progressive rock band that produced three albums during their short, four-year career. I characterize their sound as a poor man’s Styx.


I have their 1978 debut album “Astral Projector”; it was an import from Canada on Epic Records of Canada. I bought the album solely on the premise that it was released on blue vinyl. Being that I collected colored vinyl and other oddities at the time, I felt it was a good addition to my collection.


Although not having heard the group prior to buying the disc, I was pleased with the purchase. While some songs are stronger than others, I have selected my favorite – “Man in the Mirror.” It has screaming guitars, monophonic synthesizers, and tubular bells – what else could anyone want.









No comments:

Post a Comment