Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Donovan: Season of the Witch

Well today’s traditional song is going to be a real stretch as it is not really a traditional tune at all; however, with that said, Donovan in his autobiography, “Hurdy Gurdy Man” makes claims that he invented Celtic Rock and was one of the earliest proponents of electric folk. Donovan said he predated Bob Dylan’s use of an electric guitar at the Newport Folk Festival by five months. Since Donovan started out as a folk singer, I’ll use this 1966 recording as today’s Halloween based song. Crawdaddy’s review of Donovan's “Sunshine Superman” album stated that “Season of the Witch” was the most powerful single track on the LP.”



While the song is not promoting witchcraft or the occult, it is a song that explains paranoia with the paranormal. The protagonist is looking out his window and over his shoulder and sees things that are “so strange” that the only explanation is that these oddities are occurring because of witchcraft; therefore, “Oh no, must be the season of the witch.” The addition of the words, “Oh no” indicates that the season of the witch is not a welcome occurrence.

Billboard’s review of an October 25, 1968 New York concert stated, “His ‘Season of the Witch.’ In which all his (Donovan’s) skills are on display, is already a folk-rock standard recorded by many groups.” Other artists who have recorded it includes Julie Driscoll; Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, and Stephen Stills on Super Session; Richard Thompson; Terry Reid, and Lou Rawls to name a few.

I first heard this song on a Vanilla Fudge album where they do it in a minor key variation. Hmm, I just realized I mentioned Vanilla Fudge two days in a row – that’s uncanny. Vanilla Fudge also changed the lyrics of the song from “beatniks are out to make it rich” to “hippies are out to make it rich.”

Another version I like is a recent concert recording by the Strangelings, which features electric sitar and three part female harmony.



As Halloween approaches and you look out your window, beware as it may be the “Season of the Witch.”

2 comments:

  1. You can get your ex back and cure your infertility problems with Dr Reethesh. When I met Dr Reethesh, my husband had divorced me because I was a barren woman at 32 years of age and I have been married for five years. I went to many hospitals and all the doctors I met were telling me that i'll not be able to give birth again. The doctors were telling me that I am affected with Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Uterine Fibroids. They were advising me to go for child adoption. I was devastated and confused as a woman of my age. I went online to look for help on how to get my marriage back then I met Dr Reethesh. Within a few weeks of contacting Dr Reethesh, my ex husband came back home and pleaded for me to forgive him and take him back after six months of divorce. I accepted him back and then I told Dr Reethesh of my bareness for him to help me. He did the spell for fertility. I took the herbs he sent to me. And after some months of finishing the herbs, I conceived. My husband got me pregnant and I gave birth to a handsome son. Presently, I am a mother of a handsome son and I am happy in my marriage. All thanks to Dr Reethesh and his wonderful work. Contact Dr Reethesh Via WhatsApp: +2349012999010 OR Email: reethesh60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How my best friend lied against me because she wants my husband to herself. Please be careful about some persons you call your friend. I got married to my sweet high school boyfriend. We were living in peace and enjoying our life. We have two kids together. Everything was going well for us. My husband is not always around because he works in another city. So one day my husband came back home and started acting funny. His behavior changed toward me and the kids. I was trying to know what's happening. He never gave me attention or listened. Some days later my husband asked me to take myself out of the house saying he is not interested in our marriage anymore. I tried to talk to him so he could tell me where I went wrong but all was in vain. his behavior and character toward us went out of control. I had no other choice than to leave the house with the kids. This made my heart bleed anytime I think about it because this is a man I loved with all my heart. I cried and my mind got worried for a good five months. My cousin who had a similar issue like mine told me to contact DR WALE telling me that DR WALE will save my marriage. When I contacted him, I told him how everything happened. I paid for all materials needed to get the job done. DR WALE found out that it was my best friend that was behind everything that is going on in my marriage. He said it was my friend that told my husband negative things DR WALE went forward to say they were both having an affair together. So DR WALE did what he knows how to do best telling me my husband will come begging. DR told me that my best friend did an evil spell so my husband turned his back on us. But all thanks to DR WALE my husband came begging me for forgiveness saying he doesn't know what came over him. because DR WALE has told me everything that happened it was easy to forgive him. We're living together as one big family now. If you want back your Ex-partner DR WALE is the right man to contact. His WhatsApp/Telegram: +2347054019402 OR Email: drwalespellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete