Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet: Theogene Creole

I don’t often feature American roots music, but here’s one I think you will like by BeauSoleil avec (or with) Michael Doucet. Doucet is the lead vocalist and fiddler in this Cajun band from Lafayette, Louisiana. “Theongene Creole” is from their 2009 release, “Alligator Purse.” Too bad I didn't think about featuring them on Fat Tuesday a few weeks back, oh well.



While Michael Doucet is featured in the band’s billing and serves as front man, the others include his brother David Doucet on guitar; Jimmy Breaux on button accordion; Mitch Reed on stand-up bass; and Billy Ware on percussion. On this song, you can see Ware playing claves and shakers. On other recordings, you may find Mitch Reed playing fiddle and Michael Doucet on guitar, accordion, or mandolin.

I really like this tune's rhythm; however, like many monoglots, I haven't a clue what Michael Doucet is singing, but I know I like it whatever it means.

I had an opportunity to see BeauSoleil twice in the 1980s when they performed on West Virginia Public Radio’s Mountain Stage. They are as good live as they are in the studio – perhaps even better. Bon temps.

No comments:

Post a Comment