Monday, April 26, 2010

Sheryl Crow: Walk Away

As with every Monday, I feature a cover of a song that was made famous by someone else. Today’s cover has Sheryl Crow doing a song from the James Gang’s third album (“Thirds”). Normally Crow plays guitar; however, she moved to the bass on this number. There is a quite a bit of negativity on the Internet concerning her covers of earlier rock songs. I’m really not sure why folks don’t like her – but even my friends have expressed disdain towards her. Needless to say, I believe she does an excellent job these old rock tunes as she does with her live recording of this James Gang classic.



James Gang original


Although I don’t consider myself a purist, I still prefer the James Gang’s original over Crow’s excellent cover. Written by Joe Walsh, the North East Ohio band released this single in 1971. While “Walk Away” failed to enter the Top 40, it did get significant airplay in the Rust Belt. Nationally, the single charted at #51 and was the band’s highest charting single. The album peaked at #27.



No comments:

Post a Comment