Friday, May 21, 2010

Johnny Burnette: You're Sixteen

Today’s Friday First recording is dedicated to my eldest daughter who reaches the magical age of 16 today. So many songs were written and recorded about this special birthday and age, I was thinking about suspending my normal Friday theme and feature a couple of 16 themed songs; however, as I was gathering songs, I remembered one cover that eclipsed the original hit record.

While both were certified hits, Ringo Starr’s “You’re Sixteen” peaked at #1 during the final week of 1973. The original by Johnny Burnette was also a top 10 hit that peaked at 8 during November 1960. Here’s the stereo studio recording of Burnette’s original.



Live Version from 1960



July 1996 - the author with his two girls.  Our youngest is just six days
old and the birthday girl is two years old. I had much less gray hair then.

Ringo’s #1 Version from 1973


While Johnny Burnette had a classic hit with “You’re Sixteen,” Ringo’s single was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales in excess of one million copies.



Happy Birthday sweetie – I hope today brings you as much joy as you have brought us.


No comments:

Post a Comment