Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: I Find Jesus

Sometimes finding a Spiritual Sunday tune has been a challenge and for today it was no exception as I was trying to find a song relating to mother that was not sad in nature. I almost considered using the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s “Will the Circle be Unbroken,” as mother is mentioned; however, I am thinking that the great majority of folks on this Mother’s Day probably wouldn’t want to hear a song about a hearse carrying mother away. This is not fitting the day whatsoever, so I scrapped the Mother’s Day theme altogether and lo and behold I found “I Find Jesus” from their 2002 release, “Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Volume Three.”



“I Find Jesus” features Jimmy Ibbotson on lead vocals and pretty much reunites the classic lineup of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with Jeff Hanna on slide Dobro®, John McEuen on mandolin, and Jimmie Fadden on harmonica. Taken from one of the Gaither Homecoming Videos, this song is fitting for our typical Sunday fare. This is one that I will consider doing as a special sometime at church in the near future. For all of you mothers out there, have a Happy Day.

August 1981 with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and the WV State Fair
Front Row: Jimmy Fadden, Jeff Hanna, Unknown woman, Michael Gardiner.
Back Row: Richard Hathaway, Dave Blanford (EMI Records), Ron Hill, Me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment