Saturday, November 10, 2012

Dan Fogelberg: As The Raven Flies

I’ll have to give credit where credit is due and thank the guy who introduced me to the music of Dan Fogelberg – my friend Jon Weiner from Louisville. Although Fogelberg had recorded albums since 1972, I was not aware of his output until I heard his second album while staying with my friend Jon in 1977. Others may consider “Phoenix” and the “Innocent Age” as his best, but I am partial to Dan’s second album “Souvenirs.”


Released in 1974, the album produced one single “Part of the Plan” that only placed at #31 on the Top 40 charts; however, “Souvenirs” placed at #17 on the Top 200 albums chart. Since “Part of the Plan” charted in the Top 40, I cannot use it as my bubbling under hit; therefore, I have decided to use an album cut that got some airplay and has the distinction of being the heaviest cut on the album: “As the Raven Flies.”

Produced by Joe Walsh, the album features a star studded cast of musicians that includes Joe Walsh and a couple of his solo album cronies; four members of the Eagles; two members of Souther, Hillman, and Furay; Graham Nash, and a number of well known session musicians. The slide guitar on “As the Raven Flies” was actually Al Perkins playing lap steel.







1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Joe played lead.Makes sense...Caribou Ranch etal. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete