Saturday, September 11, 2010

Four by Simon and Garfunkel - Remembering

Nine years ago today, I was sitting alone in my office when my wife Pam called me on the phone to tell me that a plane just crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. In innocent unbelief I thought for sure that it was an accident when she shrieked that another plane crashed into the second tower. I knew at that moment we were under attack.

As the day progressed we learned of the other two planes and their fates. It will be a day I will never forget. Shortly after the first three planes crashed, I received an email from a cousin in England who expressed his condolences. He mentioned that terrorism was a frequent occurrence in his nation’s capital and he could empathize with those of us across the Atlantic. So shaken by the events of the day, I canceled my evening class as did most of my fellow instructors. What could one say in the midst of the day’s chaos?

Today, I wanted to do something a little different in honor of those who perished at Ground Zero, the Pentagon, in Shanksville, PA, and in the war on terrorism. The spirit of America has often been found in the music of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. So today, I present four songs that hopefully tell the story of our United States as only Paul and Art can. Without further commentary, let us never forget.

America





American Tune




Homeward Bound





The Sound of Silence






No comments:

Post a Comment