Thursday, September 9, 2010

ZZ Top: Blue Jean Blues

The year 1975 witnessed the release of the hybrid live/studio LP by ZZ Top named “Fandango.” The album produced one hit single “Tush”; however, since this is TV Thursday, I am featuring “Blue Jean Blues.” This Tuesday a rerun of the TV show “Bones” featured this song as well as ZZ Top vocalist/guitarist Billy Gibbons in the recurring role as Angela Montenegro’s father.



The author and Billy Gibbons in 1986

The show is where Dr. Jack Hodgins is planning to marry Gibbons’ daughter and Hodgins mistakenly asks Gibbons’ for Angela’s hand in marriage. The discourse goes as follows:

Hodgins: So, you’re a Texan. I mean a real Texan, guitars and hot rods, so I figure I should come down here and ask you for Angela’s hand in marriage. As a sign of respect.

Gibbons: If Angela finds out that you, a man, came down here asking me, another man, for my permission for her hand or any of her other lovely body parts, there will be consequences. You and I’ll both be dead.

Hodgins: Good advice. You got any more?

Gibbons: Yeah, Always play in the key of G demolished.

Hodgins: I…don’t know what that means.

Gibbons: Well, if you do, you do.

Gibbons: I got cars, I got guitars, and I got guns. Take care of my daughter and you'll only see the business end of the cars and guitars.
The author at the business end of one of those cars - 1982




3 comments:

  1. Jim,

    I've always liked that quote. As a guitarist I don't know what it means, but after recently listening to that man play I think he understands it pretty well.

    Brady
    Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it means play it in the key of g, and do it fucked up and balls to the wall. Because the key of g is the easiest of all notes to harmonize with, or sing along to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure it means play it in the key of g, and do it fucked up and balls to the wall. Because the key of g is the easiest of all notes to harmonize with, or sing along to.

    ReplyDelete