Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jethro Tull: Requeim

Most people are familiar with the hits and the often played album cuts of Jethro Tull; however, there is a traditional side to this rock band of the 60s onward. Today’s traditional Tuesday cut is an Ian Anderson composition that has a traditional bent.

It features Anderson on guitar and flute and is an excellent example of the other side of this musician. His flute playing is more melodic rather than raucous as we have grown to expect.


“Requiem” was recorded in Monte Carlo for Jethro Tull’s 1975 release “Minstrel in the Gallery.” While it is not usually placed in the pantheon of Tull LPs, it did rather well when released. “Minstrel in the Gallery” peaked at #7 on Billboard’s Album Charts. A remastered version on CD with bonus tracks was released in 2002.



Lyrics


Well, I saw a bird today –
Flying from a bush and the
Wind blew it away.
And the black-eyed mother sun scorched the butterfly
At play – velvet veined.
I saw it burn.
With a wintry storm-blown sigh, a silver cloud blew
Right on by.
And, taking in the morning, I sang – O Requiem.
Well, my lady told me, “Stay.”
I looked aside and walked away along the Strand.
But I didn't say a word, as the
Train time-table blurred
Close behind the taxi stand.
Saw her face in the tear-drop black cab window.
Fading in the traffic; watched her go.
And taking in the morning, heard myself singing –
O Requiem.
Here I go again.
It's the same old story.
Well, I saw a bird today – I
Looked aside and walked
Away along the strand.

No comments:

Post a Comment