Saturday, December 17, 2011

Fleetwood Mac: Landslide

This Saturday’s bubbling under hit is actually a double bubble under. Fleetwood Mac’s studio version of “Landslide” from the 1975 “Fleetwood Mac” album was a popular album cut for album radio. Because it wasn’t released as a single in ’75, it never charted.



The song was written prior to Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac. After only one LP, Polydor Records released Buckingham Nicks from their contract. The couple’s marriage was suffering as well. On a trip to Colorado, she felt her life was in a landslide as she looked out at the mountains, and hence, the song that bears that name was born. It was one of two Nicks contributions to her first LP with Fleetwood Mac.



In 1997, the most popular lineup of Fleetwood Mac (Nicks, Buckingham, Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie) rejoined forces and released a live CD of primarily older material. “Landslide” was released as a single from “The Dance” and it became an adult contemporary hit, but failed to make the Top 40 and only charted at #51.


Its performance on two lite rock formats did better charting at #10 on the AC chart and #26 on the Adult Top 40 chart. While released as a Fleetwood Mac single, only Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham appeared on this performance. The maxi single also included three remixes of the 1975 studio version of “Landslide.”


Lyrics


I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
‘Til the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Mmm, mmm, mmm

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older and I'm getting older too
Oh, I'm getting older too

Ah, take my love, take it down
Ah, climb a mountain and turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide’ll bring it down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide’ll bring it down
Oh, the landslide’ll bring it down

No comments:

Post a Comment