Friday, March 2, 2012

The Monkees: Words

I vacillated on what I wanted to do with today’s post as I thought about doing another Monkees’ tune in the wake of the death of Davy Jones. Good idea, bad idea – I couldn’t decide until I saw Mike Nesmith’s post on the death of his former bandmate. I have recreated Mike’s post below.
‘All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?’ So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don't know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about.

I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won't abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane. David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

That was a beautiful sentiment from a true friend. I have decided to include the “B” side of “Pleasant Valley Sunday” as our Friday Flip Side.


While Davy Jones only sang backup on “Words,” it’s still a great tune that features Mickey Dolenz on lead vocals and Peter Tork on the answer parts. While “Pleasant Valley Sunday” peaked at #3, “Words” made it a double sided hit as it charted at #11.

Original Version


The band recorded the tune twice with the first recording in August 1966 under the direction of the songwriters and producers: Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. It was originally intended for the LP “More of the Monkees,” but was not released at that time.

The original appeared in the episode “Monkees in Manhattan.” Different from the later released version, the original is quite nice with extra lead guitar, a flute lead, and a backwards guitar part.


Hit Version


In 1967, The Monkees returned to the studio and rerecorded “Words” and it was subsequently released on the LP “Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones Ltd.”


Peter Tork played a Hammond organ on this cut in place of the flute lead on the original. This second version was featured in two episodes: “Monkees in Texas” and “Monkees’ Paw.”






No comments:

Post a Comment