Thursday, April 25, 2013

IRS Records: Goo Goo Muck

Being from Pittsburgh, I remember the original version of the song “Goo Goo Muck” recorded by Ronnie Cook. It was a selection that was played by “Mad” Mike Metro on WZUM and it was one of the tunes that he found at National Record Mart in a bin of discarded 45s. NRM was the parent owner of WZUM radio.


Cook's “Goo Goo Muck” eventually made it onto one of Metro's Mad Mike's Moldies albums. I’m indebted to Jay Brooks, who was with Elektra Records for finding me a copy of the original back in the 1980s. To hear Cook’s version, see my tribute to “Mad” Mike and Goo Goo Muck from back in 2009.

In 1981, I was pleasantly surprised that The Cramps had redone the tune for their album Psychedelic Jungle. Released as a single by I.R.S. Records, the song was so different that it failed to chart – much like the original by Ronnie Cook.

The Cramps interpretation was like a marriage of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins and Gene Vincent. I love it; but, who wouldn’t love a band with members named Lux Interior, Poison Ivy, King Congo Powers, and Nick Knox. They were bravely original.







No comments:

Post a Comment