Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Byrds: Satisfied Mind

In late 1965, The Byrds released their second album “Turn! Turn! Turn!”  At the suggestion of bassist Chris Hillman, the band recorded “Satisfied Mind.” The official title of the song was “A Satisfied Mind” and had been a number one country hit for Porter Wagoner in 1955. The song was also covered by other artists during the same period.


Red and Betty Foley peaked at #3 on the country charts and Jean Shepard charted at #4 on the same chart. Ella Fitzgerald was able to cross the record over to the pop charts where her single charted on the music sales charts at #25. Over the years, many artists released the song including Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, David Allan Coe, Jeff Buckley, Tim Hardin, and others.

“Satisfied Mind” was an early excursion for The Byrds into the realm of country music that was four albums previous to their landmark “Sweetheart of the Rodeo” album in 1968. Gene Clark played the harmonica on this cut. The vocals were handled by Clark, Jim “Roger” McGuinn, and David Crosby.

“A Satisfied Mind” was written by Red Hayes and Jack Rhodes and was loosely based on the advice that his mother gave him. The title came from Hayes’ father-in-law who had stated the richest man in the world was the one with a satisfied mind.




1 comment:

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete