Monday, November 30, 2009

Easy Star All Stars: Lucy In The Sky WIth Diamonds

I’ve always been a big fan of reggae music and for today’s cover tune, I’m treating you to Easy Star’s Lonely Hearts Dub Band featuring Frankie Paul on vocals with “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.”



Who would have every thought that the entire Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album could be done in a complete reggae style, but the Easy Star All-Stars manage to accomplish what I would have thought as being an impossible feat, but do an exceptional job. I have some definite favorites on this LP, and “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” is one of them. I would venture to say they improved on this tune (I know sacrilege) – let’s just say then, it’s better than Elton John’s cover of the tune.

The one that I thought would have been impossible was George Harrison’s “Within You Without You,” but the one that was one of my least favorite tunes on the original, is one of my favorite songs here. The mixture of Indian instruments and a Jamaican treatment surprisingly work well together.

I have created a YouTube playlist – so you may listen to the LP in its entirety.


No comments:

Post a Comment