Sunday, November 1, 2009

Martina McBride: God's Will

It's Spiritual Sunday and I always feature a song with a greater meaning. Today’s feature comes from Martina McBride and is titled “God’s Will.” I initially chose this song because of the connection to Halloween night in the lyrics. But as I listen to it over and over, I feel that there is a message for all of us.



While this song’s spirituality is not overt, the greatest message we can get from it is that we need to stop focusing on our own lives. Until we meet someone who is truly worse off than we and who continues to have a positive attitude despite his or her life’s trials, we will wallow in our own self pity. Sometimes this is the wakeup call we need.

To quote that great philosopher, Forrest Gump, “That’s all I’m going to say about that.”

I met God's Will on a Halloween night
He was dressed as a bag of leaves
It hid the braces on his legs at first

His smile was as bright as the August sun
When he looked at me
As he struggled down the driveway, it almost
Made me hurt

Will don't walk too good
Will don't talk too good
He won't do the things that the other kids do,
In our neighborhood

I've been searchin', wonderin', thinkin'
Lost and lookin' all my life
I've been wounded, jaded, loved and hated
I've wrestled wrong and right
He was a boy without a father
And his mother's miracle
I've been readin', writin', prayin', fightin'
I guess I would be still
Yeah, that was until
I knew God's Will

Will's mom had to work two jobs
We'd watch him when she had to work late
And we'd all laugh like I hadn't laughed
Since I don't know when

Hey Jude was his favorite song
At dinner he'd ask to pray
And then he'd pray for everybody in the world but him

Before they moved to California
His mother said, they didn't think he'd live
And she said each day that I have him, well it's just another gift
And I never got to tell her, that the boy
Showed me the truth
In crayon red, on notebook paper, he'd written
Me and God love you

I've been searchin', prayin', wounded, jaded
I guess I would be still
Yeah that was until...
I met God's Will on a Halloween night
He was dressed as a bag of leaves

6 comments:

  1. Will is actually my son Chase and I am the single mother with the miracle. He was born with a genetic syndrome so rare with only about 60 others in the world. All within about 10 families since it’s an X-linked inheritance. Odd considering I have quite the large family and Chase is the very first. I started the link..somehow my DNA changed. I was told he would never walk or talk. Fast forward to today..almost 7- Today was the annual iep for Chase and I learned that he aced reading on a 3rd grade academic assessment test and every single level below it with flying colors. Exactly a year ago my boy was 100% non verbal, using only sign and device. He’s incredible I can go on but I already wrote TOO much. I just heard this song for the first time since I had him in 2012 and cried like a baby like I almost forget how sad but amazing her songs were so I looked up to see if there was a story behind her choice of lyrics because I was a little taken back when I noticed how this is Chase. He is magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized this post is from 2009! Lol it’s late and I’m tired but hey maybe you were waiting for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard this song for the first time. It deeply touched my heart. I searched for the story behind the lyrics and found that the inspiration came from the songwriter's little girl. I continued searching and found your beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. May God bless you and Chase.❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard this so g today, I cried so hard. I needed to k ow the ba ground and searched for it. Thank you. God bless all of you. Thank you for renewing my spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just listened to the song for the first time today and wanted to read the background on it also, God never ceases to amaze me. I am so happy for you and your beautiful boy and I pray for many many more beautiful years to come. We need these happy moments more now than ever. God bless you all

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was scanning through video's and discovered this amazing song, I've cried every time I listen to it, and trust I've listened plenty. This is why I love country music, the videos are like mini movie. I believe this is Martina's best recording. Thanks Martina for recording such a fantastic song. God Bless You for this song.

    ReplyDelete