Monday, November 23, 2009

ZZ Top: I Thank You

During this week of the American Thanksgiving holiday, I am featuring songs with a thankful theme to follow my normal daily features. On Mondays, I feature cover songs and probably the best “thankful” cover is ZZ Top’s version of the Sam and Dave classic – “I Thank You.”



“I Thank You” was penned by David Porter (not the Dave of Sam and Dave – that was Dave Prater) and Isaac Hayes who were staff songwriters and producers with Stax Records in Memphis, TN. Of the artists signed to Stax, Sam and Dave were probably the label’s most prolific artists during 1965-1968 when it was distributed by Atlantic Records.

Sam and Dave’s original recording of “I Thank You” charted at #9 on Billboard’s Pop Singles chart and at #4 on Billboard’s R&B chart in 1968. ZZ Top added the song to their 1979 album “Degüello” and “I Thank You” charted at #34 as a single in 1980. The album produced one other single, “Cheap Sunglasses” which charted at #89.


Me with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top in 1986


 Me and the ZZ Top Roadster in 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment