Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Pretenders: Brass In Pocket (I'm Special)

Usually, I have my week pretty well planned out in advance for what I plan to feature; however, periodically yesterday I would wrack my brain about what I was going to do for TV Thursday this week. Well, last night I saw the new commercial for the Blackberry Playbook and low and behold Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders’ “Brass in Pocket (I’m Special)” was the background music.

The single was released in 1979 and climbed to the #14 spot on the Hot 100 chart in early 1980. The single did better elsewhere as it was #1 in the UK and Sweden, #2 in Australia and New Zealand, and #5 in Canada. The album, “Pretenders,” did better in the US charting at #9 and selling in excess of a million copies to be certified as platinum. It was certified gold in the UK for sales in excess of 100 thousand and the Netherlands for over 30 thousand copies sold.


One of the things that has changed linguistically since 1979 is the connotation of the word "special." The word used to mean something extraordinary; however, it carries a meaning that indicates someone needs a little help in life. When I want to get my oldest daughter's goat, I tell her she's special. To which she thanks me, and then says "hey, wait a minute - special how?"

Stereo Version




Music Video in Mono


The video was one of the first 10 music videos played on MTV when the channel debuted in 1981.



Blackberry Playbook Commercial



No comments:

Post a Comment