Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks: Milk Shakin' Mama

Here’s a classic TV cut from the Flip Wilson Show from 1972 with one of my favorite bands – Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks. “Milk Shakin’ Mama” was from the band’s second (and best in my opinion) album: “Where’s the Money.” This is the classic lineup of the band as well with Sid Page on violin , Jaime Leopold on bass, John Girton on guitar and of course “The Lickettes”: Naiomi Eisenberg and Maryann Price. This originally aired on September 28, 1972.



“Where’s the Money” was my first Dan Hicks’ LP and I suppose I have four or five more. They are hard to classify – perhaps an acoustic throwback to the 1940s with a hint of bad humor. Who would want anything else? Sid Page plays a mean violin on this cut. Naomi Eisenberg also plays fiddle, but is not featured on this cut.



No comments:

Post a Comment