Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Proclaimers: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

I thought I had already featured The Proclaimer’s “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles),” but I must have featured it on Facebook prior to starting this blog. This song is a perfect example of our Thursday Repeats and Threepeats category, as it was released probably five different times in the UK. In the US, it had two runs at the charts – once in 1988 and then later in 1993. The first time, it failed to chart in the Hot 100, but placed at #21 on the Alternative Music chart.


Its use in the 1993 movie “Benny & Joon” gave the song a well needed boost and it was re-released. With its second stab at the US charts, “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” peaked at #3 on the Hot 100, #8 on the Alternative Music charts, and #25 on the Adult Contemporary Charts. Not bad for a second time around.

The Reids hail from the home town of my Scottish ancestors – Leith. In the second verse, the word “haver” is used – this is Scottish slang for talking nonsense or blabbering. If you would dismiss the obvious Scottish accents of twin brothers Charlie and Craig Reid, I could hear The Who doing this song. In fact, the first time I heard it, the harmonies reminded me of Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend.







No comments:

Post a Comment