Sunday, September 2, 2012

Larkin Poe: Wade In The Water

My brother shared this recording with me last week and I was blown away by Larkin Poe’s interpretation of the old spiritual “Wade in the Water.” The recording came from Fairport Convention’s yearly Cropredy Festival on August 10, 2012. The two principle members of the band are sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell, who along with their other sister, Jessica, were originally known as The Lovell Sisters.

When Jessica left the band to start a family, Rebecca and Megan continued but rebranded as Larkin Poe – the name of their third great grandfather who was a cousin to Edgar Allen Poe. Rebecca plays the killer mandolin and Megan is on the lap steel guitar which is being played strapped like a Melobar.

Both young ladies are credits to their respective instruments and have a vocal tightness that only siblings can have. Check it out.


Alternate Version


This alternate take of the same song has just the sisters and gives you an up close look at what they are actually doing. I love the killer lead by Rebecca. I’m going to try and work on doing this. Megan is no slouch with a little sacred steel.



I plan to end this blog on September 26, 2012. If you would like to see it continue after that, let me know by registering your feelings in the survey found at http://tinyurl.com/8juv863.





No comments:

Post a Comment