Sunday, September 9, 2012

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: I Find Jesus

Only 17 more posts are planned; however, you can make a difference by registering your feelings in the survey found at http://tinyurl.com/8juv863. We have yet to reach the requisite number to overturn my decision to bury this blog. Save the music - fill out the survey today!

Since 1966, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band has entertained millions with their brand of original and roots music. From 1976 until 1981, the name was shortened to The Dirt Band; however, by summer 1981 they returned to their original moniker. I saw them in concert at the West Virginia State Fair in Fairlea, WV during August 1981 and was impressed with their big sound.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, West Virginia State Fair, August 1981. 
Front row: Jimmie Fadden, Jeff Hanna, unknown fan, Michael Gardiner. 
Back Row: Richard Hathaway, Dave Blandford, Ron Hill, Jim Owston

I had a chance to meet most of the band after the show, but did not get to talk to them much. They seemed like a nice crew of guys, but they were also very rushed as the band was doing two shows that night and we had met them after the first set.

Jimmie Fadden and Jeff Hanna; August 1981

Released on their 2002 “Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Volume III” CD, Jimmy Ibbotson provided the song “I Find Jesus.” According to Jimmy on a Gaither Homecoming special,
“That song came to me in a dream. I was down in Costa Rica one night and I dreamt I was in this southern church and all the people were looking at me and going, ‘Get up and sing your song.’ And I didn’t know anybody in the church except through their smiles and their acceptance. And I said, ‘What do you mean? Get up and sing what song?’ Somebody said, ‘You’re new song’ and someone tapped me on the back and it was my dad who had passed on a couple months before. And he said, ‘Go on Jimmy, get up and sing it.’ So the thing came in real time.”

John McEuen; August 1981.

Today’s video features band members Jimmy Ibbotson on guitar and lead vocals, Jeff Hanna on slide guitar and vocals, John McEuen on mandolin, Jimmie Fadden on drums and harmonica, and Bob Carpenter on accordion and vocals. The bassist was a sideman and not a member of the band.

Enjoy our Spiritual Sunday selection.


Lyrics


I walk in silence when it comes
This feeling when the Spirit leads me on
If the dogs are barking and the night is rough
I take it as a sign to climb above.

The city to the hill among the clouds
Where I can see my Savior now
He's waiting with His palm to me outstretched
His mercy is a balm when I'm perplexed.

I find Jesus in the darkest night
I find Jesus in the morning light
I find Jesus in the face of those
Whose hearts are singing with the Heavenly Host.

Sometimes when I feel all alone
I look around and all are gone
The friends that I rely upon
Are busy doing what they want.

I look within and I am told
It's Sunday morning in my soul
And there I find a holy hall
Where congregations heed the call.

I find Jesus in the darkest night
I find Jesus in the morning bright
I find Jesus in the face of those
Whose hearts are singing with the Heavenly Host.

And when I lay down my last time
And feel a chill run up my spine
And recognize my time has come
I'll look around, He'll lead me home.

He'll reach His loving hand to me
And bid me climb to victory
Where we'll find kindred spirits there
Hearts raised in song without a care.

I find Jesus in the darkest night
I find Jesus in the morning bright
I find Jesus in the face of those
Whose hearts are singing with the Heavenly Host.


No comments:

Post a Comment